You’re considering a gap year but you’ve got no idea what to do.
You cannot spend it playing video games or getting Instagram envy every time you see your friends post a Freshers’ pic.
You have to do something – otherwise you’ll die of boredom and universities will stereotype you as lazy or unambitious.
Here’s a comprehensive list of possible gap year plans – from retaking your exams to scuba diving in Panama.
Have fun! And remember: there are no limits to what you do on your gap year – this is your year out, so do what you want to do.
Getting a job:
Corporate job placements
- Apprenticeships – IBM
- etrust – for the scientists!
- Horizons programme – Accenture
- Upwork – sign up as a freelancer and get paid!
- Fiverr – sign up as a freelancer and get paid!
- First tutors – make a profile, and start teaching!
- Tutor hunt – same as above
- Explore learning – a tuition centre with branches all around the UK
- Number worksnwords – another tuition centre
- Bridge – teach English overseas
- Work away – work at farms, schools and everything in between, in return for free accommodation & food
- Wwoof – work on organic farms around the world, in return for free accommodation & food
- Volunteer ics – ICS, a range of volunteering options available
- Frontier – medical internship in Malawi
- Projects abroad – opportunities from law to journalism
- Do it – another wide range of opportunities
- Prospects – volunteer with animals
- Prospects – volunteer with children
- Ncvo – find a centre near you to volunteer at
- Volunteer Scotland – volunteer in Scotland
- Volunteering Wales – volunteer in Wales
- Unicef – volunteer with Unicef
- Save the children – with Save The Children
Learning a language:
- EF – a bit expensive, but a trustable brand
- Go abroad – search for an immersion programme that meets your criteria
- Go overseas – search away for your dream programme
- Linguatrip – cheaper to book here than direct with the school
Apps & online courses:
- Duolingo – free app, very addictive
- First Words – speak Spanish in just 30 days!
- Baselang – unlimited Spanish classes with Venezuelan tutors
- Coursera – free online courses from the world’s top universities
Learn to code:
- MIT OpenCourseWare – completely free, from the world’s best technical university
- Coursera Python – coding skills to automate everyday tasks
- Codecademy – interactive exercises make this course a lot easier to follow
- Flatiron school – you might not even need to go to university with skills you’ll pick up here!
Other skills & activities:
Reapplying to university:
- College info geek – learn how to become a better student
- Exam solutions – everything you need for an A* in maths
- Physics and Maths tutor – past papers galore!
UCAS application resources:
If you’d like help resubmitting your UCAS application – from course choices to writing the perfect statement – join 1100+ students & sign up to our newsletter for inside access to:
- Top 6 Secrets to a killer statement
- 10 real statements from successful Oxbridge students
- Techniques from cognitive science to 10x your revision